Saturday, August 7, 2010

Can I ask you something?

I've been inspired to write. #1a Because Sierra told me to #2b Because I need a design break and #3c Because I had an awesomely weird experience.

So as many of you know I'm applying for the BFA program. I'm sick of explaining what that is...look it up. Anyway, after a short break from school I decided to get cracking again to make my portfolio awesome. Due to a lack of motivation and constant disruptions, I decided to venture into the library one night to get some serious work done. I set up camp in Maps, as usual. Things are weird during the summer and there were only two other people down there, including one man, who I had the feeling was looking at me quite a bit. As 11 o'clock rolled around I decided it was about time to head out. By now I had the weird feeling, seeing as how it was only me and staring kid down there, and I had to walk to my car.

The second I took the headphones out of my ears this kid says "What are you working on." Great. I tell him. Like most people he doesn't understand, but to add to the confusion, he is foreign. He asks to see it, but I've just closed everything. He MAKES me show him. I mention that I really need to go. He proceeds to talk to me for 25 minutes. Here are a few of my favorite lines:
"You work here? How come I've never seen you? Have you seen me? I'm always here."
"So, can I speak Spanish to you?"
"Guess, where I'm from. It's not that hard, you know I speak Spanish."
and by far my favorite
"Emily, can I ask you something?"
I started freaking out. What is this kid going to ask me!!!?? Are you ready?
"Do you want to be friends on facebook?"
I obliged, although becoming friends on fb was a fiasco itself. We parted with a full on hug.
Thank you Oscar Martinez.

No comments: