Thursday, December 3, 2009

Rear Window

Okay this blog requires some background for most of you. My apartment is at the end of the complex and is therefore full of windows. Many of these windows look out onto 700 north. Only days after moving in, my room mates and I had discovered the house across the street. The first red flag is the tarps permanently covering all the windows. Then we noticed the outrageous amount of crap on their porch. The house was then labeled the halfway house or the drug house depending on the day.

In the past few months there has been a lot of action at this house. Generally, there are large amounts of people hanging out on the porch and vans pulling in and out of the driveway dropping people off. By the looks of this group and the hours they keep I'm pretty sure that none of them could carry a real job, they are not a family, I have no idea what their relationships are. Then, specifically, there was the afternoon that it all started to get really weird. Sac and I were both home in the afternoon working on homework in different rooms. Suddenly a cat began meowing IN OUR APARTMENT. Sac yelled my name and we began investigating. However, there was no cat to be found and we realized that it was in fact coming from the drug house. We went back to work. Minutes later I heard a woman hacking up a lung IN OUR APARTMENT. Again we searched and again we realized it was coming from the drug house. This was the day "the woman" came into being. Ever since then I heard her coughing at least once a week. I am positive that she smokes 3 packs a day and worked in a coal mine at some point in her life.

Now here is where it gets crazy. Two days ago Sac announces that she heard "the woman" yelling, followed by a thumping sound. Then, last night upon returning from the gym, the halfway house is surrounded: two police cars, an ambulance, and a firetruck. I popped some popcorn (not really) and we began watching the show. There were so many theories being thrown out there that we had NO IDEA what would happen: drug overdose, domestic dispute, dead cat, etc. After a few minutes somebody mentions that the paramedics didn't seem to be in any hurry. That's when it hit us. "The woman" DIED!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Minutes later they take a stretcher out of the ambulance and roll it over to the door. We waited in anticipation while they went inside. Then the front door opened and they were carrying...."A body bag, a body bag!" (note: Sac actually chanted that). Okay it was really just a sheet wrapped around the body but it was a DEAD body.

"The woman" actually died! Okay we don't actually know who it was. It could have been any of the dozens of people who hang out there but I'd like to believe that the black lung finally got her. After weeks of joking about how something sketchy was going on there and how we should call the cops...BOOM somebody dies. This may sound horrible, but it was the highlight of my week.

The paramedics waved at us as they drove away.

4 comments:

Chelsea said...

Ok you are genius. Just the way that was written was awesome. I know exactly which house you are talking about- they always use the MW parking lot as a walkway and they freaked me out a lot! I was crying I was laughing so hard after reading this! The highlight of your week... awesome.

Sarah said...

BODY BAG BODY BAG
I keep thinking about this crazy occ occurrence.

Brittany said...

For some reason I was creaped out just by the title of this before I even read the story! A real life scary movie! That is right up my alley. Maybe she was calling out to you and Sac for help and you could have saved her life! J/K

Emily Brooke said...

haha don't worry. I already gave Sac a lot of crap for not calling the cops when she heard the beating. Clearly it was her fault.