Thursday, October 23, 2008

Paris Day 2

So our first day in Paris was jam packed. We started off in Monte Mart which is a beautiful area surprisingly just a few blocks away from our hostel. We saw the famous church Sacree Coure. Here’s a pic of Autumn being accosted by the bracelet man just outside the church. He was making her a bracelet and telling her crap about how since she was American she could have 5 babies and something about wishing on this bracelet would give her babies or something...I’m not really sure. Then we walked around the neighborhood and checked out the artists painting on the streets...so cool. Had my first French croissant....these have nothing on Costco, I nearly died.

Next sight was Notre Dame. This lady was outside and thought it would be cool to be attacked by birds? She was holding bread in her hand and they were flying all around her...I hate birds and she is crazy. Notre Dame is awesome because the architecture is so amazing. I’m used to seeing really old Italian churches with beautiful art and okay architecture, it was a nice change.

Next we found this awesome pastry shop and got quiche for lunch...I love quiche. We ate it overlooking the Seine river. Then we made our way to the Musee D’Orsay. I ordered my ticket in French, okay so that is like two words, but I was proud. It was my favorite museum thus far. Lots of impressionists which I must love because of my mother. I saw the dancer!! Tons of Degas, Monet, Picasso, Manet, Van Gogh...loved it.

By this time it was way sunny outside and we hit up the Eiffel Tower. I think we spent like four hours there, many of them spent trying to get the perfect picture. Apparently with this whole European Union thing like each month a new country is in charge or something. Anyways, I guess it was Italy’s turn so there were these ugly stars on the tower as well as a gigantic map of Europe on the grass in front of it. Obviously I had to take a pic standing on Italia. Now it’s time for the Mormon run in of the day but this story requires background. Starting in Rome, Autumn made up this game called My Team, Your Team. Upon spotting a really good looking guy you call My Team. Upon finding someone really gross, these people are often shirtless or something, you call Your Team, meaning the other people who are with you. So we are waiting in line to go up to the top and Shannon calls My Team guy with the blue tie. I take one look at him and I’m like, why? he looks like a missionary. So we’re joking around about how Shannon is attracted to guys who look like missionaries and then Anna is like “Guys, he is a missionary!” We get a glimpse of his tag. So we start predicting his story, just got off the mish yesterday, his parents came to pick him up and they’re from Utah. So Autumn being the fearless girl that she is, goes up to him on top of the Eiffel Tower and she’s like, Hey! We recognized you. Which doesn’t actually make any sense and she keeps talking while this kid and his parents are trying to figure out how they should know us. Finally it hits her that they don’t understand, so she explains that we were from BYU. Sure enough we were dead on on all accounts about these people. Small world! So we saw the sunset on the Tower and let me tell you it is soooo much prettier at night all lit up, I loved it.

We ate dinner outside on the Champs d Elysses...I have no idea how to spell that. French Onion soup...best I’ve ever had. Our waiter was a goofball. Did I mention that French people are awesome? I thought they were supposed to be mean, but there were so many good ones.

Just check out my online album for the rest of the pics...

1 comment: