Monday, October 27, 2008

Parigi

Since all my pics are already up I'll skip pics on this post...
Okay, Paris day two started off with a messy attempt at washing my hair in the sink in our 1 sq. ft. en suite bathroom. Why I even tried I'm not sure, my hair was up after like an hour. So we went to this info desk that morning to ask directions and of course made Shannon go up since she "speaks" French, obviously she just spoke in English. Anyways, at the end of the conversation I looked up and noticed they were clearly talking about us. Then this man waves and winks at us. I gave him and smile and a wave back...he was probably 40. Apparently he told her that her traveling companions were very beautiful...oh silly Europeans.

So we hit up Les Invalides because Eiffel Tower Missionary told us it was cool. It's Napoleon's palace and so pretty! Highlights included checking out Napoleon's coffin, sweet WW2 uniforms and other memorabilia, and the armory full of sweet weapons and armor...Gabe would have loved it! Side note: Autumn insisted on saying Napoleon, NapoleON, like Uncle Rico in Napoleon Dynamite. You know how much I love that movie.

Then we went to see the Paris Opera House. Oh my gosh!! I had visions of Phantom of the Opera and myself dressed up in some amazing gown, going to see the Opera. Someday I will see something there!!!

We went to the Galleries Lafayette to see a free fashion show we read about on the internet, but the internet didn't mention anything about reservations, so that didn't happen. But we stumbled upon a really good view of the city on the roof of the department store. Oh and I was in shopping heaven. So many beautiful things. The wedding dress section was AMAZING. One of a kind dresses...I took a catalogue so I can copy stuff. I felt like they could tell I was a poor American living out of my backpack so touching was unfortunately out of the question.

Next we looked for the museum that the 40 year old flirt had given us directions to, but he was all wrong. I can't complain about getting lost in Paris, this was when I stumbled upon my coat as well as some delicious bread.

Friday night is student night at the Louvre...we got in for free!!! The Louvre is absolutely out of control huge. We made a beeline to the Mona Lisa just to get that out of the way. I wasn't disappointed since everyone had already warned me it was a let down and let's be honest, I don't even care for that painting anyways. So I took some pictures from 20 feet away from it...great. I saw some really cool paintings that I've studied and some sweet Egyptian stuff, but overall I would say that the Louvre is highly overrated. I've been to 50 museums better than it. Oh and here comes our Mormon connection of the day. I saw a girl from my hall freshman year twice in the Louvre...what are the odds. Sydney Smart for those of you who know her and no I didn't speak to her, don't act like you're surprised.

This kid Jeff from Canada "slyly" added himself to our group at the beginning of the night while we were waiting in line. Autumn and I ditched the rest of our group to see art that we thought they might not appreciate...including an entire room of Rubens, that room was really cool. We were surprised , or maybe not so surprised to find that Jeff was still with them when we met up at the end of the night. So unfortunately, in my opinion, we were stuck with him for the rest of the night. He was actually nice but he threw off the dynamics of our group, boys. We went to a restaurant by Notre Dame and had a legit three course meal. French Onion soup, es cargo, streak, and chocolate mouse. Oh and the water was free...awesome. Dinner was really fun. All three nights we had hilarious waiters that made for a good time.

Saw a guy pass out on the subway...that was an adventure.

Fiasco of the Day: So on Saturday Paola started talking to me while I was still half asleep, meaning my second language brain was not warmed up. Anyways, she tells me something about her brother and sister-in-law and monday....since I wasn't thinking I just kind of told her okay and that was that. Well Raquel and I returned home Saturday night to find her brother and sister-in-law here and no Paola and Marco. Apparently we are being babysat. So even though I was tired, I know she didn't tell us anything about where they were going. Raquel asked at dinner and our babysitters simply said...South. So we may never know where they were. The best part of our time with them is that the man, can't even remember his name, was quizzing us on things like agriculture in the U.S. Do people even farm anymore? I don't know. We had to make up where cotton in produced. We knew AZ and then just threw out stuff like Mississippi. Who asks that kind of crap? Does he realize how large the U.S. is?

1 comment:

Liz said...

yes. the last few sentences of that were great. but mostly i just wanted to say that i love rubens and would very much enjoy a whole room of his art!