Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Pisa Slash Lucca

Ciao! So first of all, thanks for all of you who are emailing me. I appreciate hearing from you and what is going on in your life. It’s hard for me to keep up on everything, so even if I don’t ask you, I want to know how you are!

So last weekend we did a little trip to Pisa and Lucca. Due to a series of fiascoes I was somehow put in charge, funny, since I was the only one in my group who has never been to Europe before. Semi stressful, but all went well. There were four of us; Autumn, Cailey, Anna, and I left Friday morning at 7 am, on a bus, in the rain. It proceeded to rain until like 4 in the afternoon...sucky. Pisa consisted of seeing the “Field of Miracles” and then peacing out. I would have been fine wandering around some, but they all said it was worthless. So I saw the tower and took some classic tourist pictures holding it up. We did a little variation with the umbrella. I’d like to thank SAC for the 80's rain jacket, it was well received by my friends here.


We took the train to Lucca and hit up some sweet churches and a museum. All the cities in Tuscany have huge medieval walls surrounding the original city. Lucca’s wall is probably 100 feet wide and has been turned into kind of a huge park. The first day we got to Italy my friends and I determined that we would be sharing many romantic moments together on this trip. We are constantly commenting on how we’ll have to come back here will husbands or amanti (lovers, just learned that word today). Lucca has officially been added to the list of places to visit when I come back.

On Saturday we hit up the antique fair that is held there every third weekend, it’s the largest in Italy. It was awesome. I wish Mom and Dad had been there, you guys would have loved it. I bought some old jewelry, it was fantastic, but I wish I could have sent home furniture and other huge things. Basically Lucca consisted of exploring, absorbing beautiful things, and shopping. Perfect.

The missionaries here are really excited about us being here. One of them mentioned that they “want to take advantage of us” while we are here...which sounded a little scandalous and received a good laugh, but seriously they are really trying to get us to do a lot of crap. So I finally gave in and went to sing with them last night. This is totally the kind of cheesy activity I stray away from, and it seemed eerily similar to tunnel singing at BYU but it turned out to be really cool. There were probably ten of us girls and I know we butchered every word of every song, but it was a good time. One missionary kept making comments like “we were almost on tune that time”. I finally announced to him that being on tune was the least of our worries. Millions of people stopped to take pictures of the American girls trying to sing in Italian with four guys in white shirts. The missionaries would then proceed to take advantage of them pausing to watch the freak show...good times. It definitely helped my Italian though.

Fiasco of the day: So everyone told me before I came to beware of the old men trying to hit on me. This rumor, like most, has turned out to be completely false. However, there IS something weird going on with the older men here(as shown in my last fiasco of the day) . In Lucca on Saturday I saw, for the second time here, a man going to the bathroom completely out in the open. We were relaxing on the city wall and noticed this man acting suspicious out in the middle of the field in front of us. Turns out he was going to the bathroom, and totally looking at us the whole time. Obviously I took a picture. Minutes later he was again spotted doing the same activity on the other side of the river. Explain to me how this wide open space is a logical place for this?

No comments: