Wednesday, September 10, 2008

A Little Tastey of Roma

So as much as I love beautiful countryside, the city is a part of my soul. Therefore, Rome is amazing. As Chauncey would say: "I highly recommend it." A quick synopsis of of why...


1. Free drinking water. Okay, so Italy may charge you for water in restaurants, but there is delicious free water flowing all over the place. The best part is that we aren't talking sketchy metal drinking fountains spotted with gum, but totally awesome stone statues. If you look closely you can see Peter Panna. He is my 1.5 L water bottle that I took everywhere.







2. There are things in this city that are insanely famous, precious, and amazing just laying around for anyone to see, for free! Example: This is a Caravaggio, if you don't know what that means, Wikipedia him. He is one of my favorite artists and ther are numerous paintings of his just hanging out in random churches in Rome for anyone to see, if they know where to go. Luckily my director is an art freak and knows the hot spots. This one was hidden in a back, dark, corner of a church, hence the bad picture.



3. Old and New. So I got sick of trying to upload this picture and failing, but it was of a McDonalds in this really old building...It's ridiculous how there are buildings that are centuries old right next to modern apartments, etc. The fact that someone can say: "I live just across the street from the Pantheon." or "Meet me at the McDonald's just south of the Forum" is awesome. Close...cheap!




4. Segway tours. Okay, i don't know if this only goes down in Rome or if it's just some new phenomenon I've just never heard of. However, we all know that one of my dreams is to ride a Segway-- this dream was intensified after getting to know Gob in Arrested Development. I will now edit this dream to not just ride a Segway but take Segway tour. I found this little gem while wandering around the Villa Borghese one afternoon.

Since living in a foreign country is synonmous with frequent weird experiences, I've decided to do a little fiasco of the day on each post. Here it goes:

Quickly upon arrival here in Siena, it was apparent that Paola could not say Rachel's name. something about the 'R' and the 'ch' made a 'Gr' sound--not sure what that is about.. Anyways, Paola announces that she is just going to call Rachel, Greta. Not only is that a ridiculous name in general, but she just straight up renamed her. Ssadly withing 48 hours they had figured out that Rachel was actually Raquel in Italian, but those two days I lived with Greta were awesome.
Side note: One of the host families mixed up first and last names, so two girls in my group are currently going by Lyman and Sibley. No matter how much they stress that their names are actually Autumn and Karli, they just arent getting it.

Also, I'm working on the picture situation...hopefully more to come.

1 comment:

dede said...

I am very jealous of the segway tour...I too have a dream of riding on a segway because of GOB.