Thursday, September 18, 2008

For the Love of Food

So I'm sure you're all wondering about what I'm eating these days. Here it goes:
First things first, you should be jealous of my food situation. Here’s the lowdown. Breakfast: Paola puts breakfast out for us the night before because she and Marco go to sleep after us, and get up after us...I am obviously jealous of their schedule. Breakfast is: Yogurt; semi sketch because it is more liquid than in the U.S. and let’s be honest, the ‘live cultures’ bit about yogurt has always left me in confusion about if I should like it or not...but I eat it. Cereal: Some kind of Special K that I would never purchase on my own, but hey, it’s cold cereal and I’m not complaining...a banana spruces it up. Milk: totally sketch but once again I’m not deterred. It is in a box and may or not be refrigerated. It is also thicker, but we all know that I like my milk fat. Sadly I’m not brave enough to drink the milk straight, only in cereal. (My Italian teacher thought I was crazy when I told her I drank milk at dinner...these people don’t understand their dairy. I take that back...they have cheese down.) Then some sort of pastry and fruit: So much fruit and it is AWESOME. Plums, peaches, nectarines, grapes, bananas.

Lunch: I usually starve or get some sort of cheap baguette, fruit, or cookies.

Dinner: Served at 8:30, a little too late for not eating lunch, but whatever. This is where it gets really good. First course: Pasta. Absolutely delicious spaghetti, pesto, ravioli, you name it. They give us so much that at this point I’ve already eaten what would normally be two dinners. Then we have our main dish: Some sort of delicious meat as well as a salad or tomatoes. I haven’t had to eat fish yet...but it has been spoken of and I’ll be a man about it. Last night we did have some sketchy meat, I was too afraid to ask what it was but it looked like stomach lining. Luckily any taste was masked by peppers. This was really my first sketch experience and it was still pretty good.

Keep in mind that Paola and Marco don’t eat the pasta and they always give us twice as much of the meat as they eat. They claim they are on diets. We all know I can eat a lot of food, but the issue is that everyone has to wait for you to finish before they get the next course, and the speed of my eating is just not up to par. But I am getting better. Oh and there is always bread going around. After meat we always eat fruit, and usually dessert. However, they have picked up on the fact that I don’t really care for dessert. They always have coffee after, and Marco drinks out of a Gli Incredibli (The Incredibles) mug...I love it.

Last Friday we went out for my friend Autumn's birthday. This is the delicious boar that Autumn and I shared. It is apparently a Sienese specialty and it was delicious, very similar to pot roast. Highly recommended.

After dinner we of course hit up the gelato. It's a good thing, or maybe a bad thing, that ice cream is the one dessert that I'm always up for. Many people get it daily, or twice daily, I usually only splurge 3 or 4 times a week. In order to fully celebrate Autumn's birthday, a few of us decided to go all out and get three scoops. I wasn't very clean about it, but it was delicious. Pistachio is my favorite gusti. Also note my purse in this picture. This is my first and only purchase so far, I'm really holding back. It's a totally sweet purse that I discovered in Amalfi and the guy was making them right in front of me...couldn't resist.

Fiasco of the Day: So the other day my friend and I were walking to get some fruit and I noticed the man walking very close to me. All of a sudden he starts leaning in towards me and i looked down and he is trying to show me this picture. Let's break down the picture: it is LAMINATED, early 90's, black and white, featuring a woman in only and bra and underwear. I can't seem to think what his purpose in getting me to look at it was, as if I haven't seen that a million times. I keep talking like nothing happened. Then he goes over to my friend and does the same thing to her, but she looks over at me right when he does it so she misses it. Then seconds later he does it a second time and this time she sees. Choking through laughter she tries to start up a conversation and says something like "So about Florence..." and then we just start dying laughing and walk super fast. When we returned to school he was waiting for us in the doorway. We ran in right behind an old lady and he left us alone. He was obviously not totally there mentally. Mom...I promise it is safe here :)

No comments: