Wednesday, April 21, 2010

The Break Down

My life a few days ago:

My life this evening:

I MADE IT!
I don't want to really call myself a procrastinator because I feel like I worked my butt off all semester. Okay, maybe not that week that I saw 5 movies at the dollar theater. And yet, somehow I was left with a whole lot to do this past week. But as usual I pulled it off, with flying colors, if I do say so myself.

I have this great fear that life continues to get more busy and stressful the older you get, but somehow you can just handle more. Exhibit A: My parents. My Dad often hints that this is the truth, but he's still not giving me the full story so that I won't put off finishing school any longer than I already have!

I definitely know that I can handle a lot more stress now than say, high school, or even a couple of years ago. I was just waiting for the break down this week. The point where I am "100% positive" that I can't finish everything-an unacceptable realization for a Baird child. The tears never came, but there was one point where I completely lost it. Allow me to set the scene:

Monday night at 9:00 pm. I have been making books for the majority of the past three days. I'm finishing up my final book while watching How to Lose a Guy in 10 Days. I arrive at the LAST STEP! and reach in my backpack for my salmon colored waxed linen thread that I had so responsibly purchased days before so as to avoid yet another fiasco buying materials at the more-often-than-not closed BYU stock room. But alas, where is my thread? This one piece of thread is what holds my book together. I begin calmly searching through my bag and then within minutes panic has set in. I miss the part in the movie where they finally stop being dumb and fall in love over a card game(what a perfect scenario). I'm tearing apart the house. It is nowhere to be found. Did I mention my book is due the next day, and I have another final in the morning, and again, who even knows when that dang stock room will be open. I begin praying, for thread. God must be laughing at me but immediately I know I have to go to the bookbinding studio. It has been my second home lately, so why not tear it apart as well?

It's now 9:45. I pull up to the scary warehouse to find a dozen cars in the parking lot. See, some people procrastinate more than I do. I walk in to find half my class hard a work. Normally, I would just snoop around and try not to draw attention to myself. But this was it, the break down. I walk into the room, mumble hello to some kid and then something takes over my body, I stop in the middle of the room, and quite loudly announce that I have something to say to everyone. They all pause and turn to look at me. I was like a movie. "Has anyone seen salmon waxed linen thread?" Without a word, about three people point to the corner of the room, where my beloved thread is on a table.

People said things to me but I was so happy that I don't remember what I said back. Thread has never looked so good.

The other day my boss said to me: "You poor art students." I accept that sympathy. But I love it! This semester was so hard, but so rewarding. Next week I'm onto the next adventure....computers. Wish me luck!

4 comments:

Brittany said...

Wow I was totally into that story! So glad you found your waxy fish string! And I am impressed you made it through with no breakdown. I used to be SO good at those!

Marci said...

YAY! I am so proud of you! And I love my sewing stuff in the corner in those pictures. 5 bucks says linx never used it :)

Jack said...

What computer stuff do you have to tackle now?

Emily Brooke said...

Linx obviously never touched the sewing machine, more asians, and I'm taking three graphic design classes Spring term!