Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Lady Luck

First things first. I have some sort of Asian following on my Picasa web album as well as this. If anyone can translate the comment on my last post, I'd really appreciate it.

Second, I feel like I've already told everyone this, but it's just so fantastic I need to write it down. I have a gym membership at 24 hour fitness. However, for the past few months I've noticed that they haven't been taking money out of my account every month. Of course every time I think about it I'm not in the position to do anything and I just kept forgetting about it-that's what happens when you have money that you shouldn't. Had it been the other way around I would have done something immediately.

So yesterday in class my friend Sarah, who also goes to 24 hour, was telling me how she lost her debit card and so when she got a new one the payments didn't transfer over. The other day they stopped her when she came in and told her that her payments were late. I smiled and nodded as she told me this story, but inside a wave of panic struck. Remember that time last semester that I was an IDIOT FOOL and left my debit card in the atm? Turns out that I too have a new card, but who knew that the automatic payments would stop working, same account right? On the way home I began imagining the hundreds of dollars in late fees that I must owe to 24 hour.

I tried to work it out online but when I typed in my account information a little box popped up telling me that my membership had been TERMINATED. I called. I spoke to some man and explained the situation. He proceeded to tell me that they hadn't received payment from me since OCTOBER and my membership had been terminated then. My reply to him: "I just went to the gym on Friday". And by the way, I didn't have my card on Friday so the girl even typed in my name to look up my account...He then transferred me to another man. I explained the situation again, and told this man I would fight him because it was their fault. He told me just to sign up for a new account. What did this entail? Paying the first and last month plus a service fee. Altogether this amounted to less than what I clearly owed them for the last 4 months, but they didn't want to hear it.

I am now reminded of the time I went to the YMCA for two years in high school for free before they realized that I in fact was not old enough to be a member of Silver Sneakers. Thank you gyms of the U.S. for wanting me to use you for free.

4 comments:

Liz said...

it's hard to tell that you would not be a part of silver sneakers...and what the hook? how did you get that comment on the last post? can you translate it somehow online?

Jack said...

The comment says something like "Wandered to your blog so that I can not help to stop! Look forward to your new article!!" It was obviously some type of spam bot that wants you to click on the link so that it can probably download a virus to your computer. Also, I may have come across a supernatural death poison, for the right price...

Emily Brooke said...

Mitchell, good thing your sister clicked on the link for me...here goes my computer. Apparently you haven't passed on enough of your nerd knowledge to her. I'd like to take a look at the poison before I make any commitments.

Sarah said...

so do you need to get a new membership?